FRUGALITY

FRUGALITY- "Prudence in avoiding waste." (wordnetweb.princeton.edu)

Why This Blog?

I am on a pretty strict food budget; I also pray that my family and I will never go hungry, so after so many years of being creative with limited food supplies and money (including a three-pound whole chicken turned into 13 meals for the 5 of us), P-R-A-Y-S became a food and household budget philosophy. It can be anything that keep you in line with your budget. Like PORTION, ROTATE, ANTICIPATE, YELL (from joy of having money left over) and SAVE. Each post will show how this philosophy was broken down with every dish and budgeting I share. So hold on to your wallets and stay tuned!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brownies on the Cheap!

This post is from February 1, 2010 from my family blog during one of our non-necessities Shopping Hiatus

We had to buy milk, bananas and toothpaste today for our needs, but food for dinner, noooo problem!

Last week, I got these Hormel Polish Sausage 2-pk, BIGIF for $4.99. So that made it $2.50 each pk for us. Then in the freezer, I had these two store brand frozen bags of stir-fry veggies with rice that only cost me $1 each. What to make, what to make?

A one dish wonder called Sausage Stir-fry!

I only used one of the sausages, making it $1.25 + $2, subtotal- $3.25 (Sorry, no picture, the family ate the whole thing)

Then, my children found a box of family size brownies in the pantry, that cost me $1.49 (on sale, $2, reg. $2.50) since I bought it with a promo of B10G$5off from Kroger.

We only had water and 1 full plate each (that's all we needed, oddly enough).

So let's see... $1.25 + $2 + $1.49 = $4.74 / 5 of us = .945 or 95 cents a plate + dessert!

Can't beat that!

On this one, I took advantage of a great PROMO PRICE, RESTOCKED my pantry, ALLOWED room for dessert in the budget, the YES on the brownies made the fam happy, and the SALES didn't dent my wallet, how can you not be happy about that?

She who PRAYS, eats! What did I tell you?

No comments:

Post a Comment