FRUGALITY

FRUGALITY- "Prudence in avoiding waste." (wordnetweb.princeton.edu)

Why This Blog?

I am on a pretty strict food budget; I also pray that my family and I will never go hungry, so after so many years of being creative with limited food supplies and money (including a three-pound whole chicken turned into 13 meals for the 5 of us), P-R-A-Y-S became a food and household budget philosophy. It can be anything that keep you in line with your budget. Like PORTION, ROTATE, ANTICIPATE, YELL (from joy of having money left over) and SAVE. Each post will show how this philosophy was broken down with every dish and budgeting I share. So hold on to your wallets and stay tuned!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Yahoo + Walmart = Dinner Choices

Yep, Yahoo has an article presented by Walmart about some great dinner choices for the week.

Check it out then apply the PRAYS philosophy to further stretch those dollars and culinary imagination. The name of the game is find, improve and save!


PERUSE media for easy recipes. READ thru for any conflicting ingredients; i.e. allergies, cost. ASSIGN each dish for a better day on the week. YOU are in control; therefore, SUBSTITUTION of all kinds is totally up to you.

Using what you already have while rotating your stores is a sure way to be more pleased with the dish that is now your very own recipe!

For example, back in 2006, I had all these Asian spices that prompted me to create my own sauce. I marinated chicken in it overnight. I came up with Sweet Asian Chicken that is still a great crowd pleaser.

This week, while looking up some Hawaiian dishes for a themed dinner I'm hosting, I came across HULI HULI CHICKEN which to my surprise, uses the same ingredients I have in my sauce! The only difference in my recipe, lemon juice!

Just that discovery alone made me feel like a real chef since the same dish have been feeding a whole island for centuries! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment